Sunday, December 20, 2009

Advice to Writers: Dehanna Bailee


Dehanna Bailee, one of my weekly featured authors during 2009's Dog Days of Summer BlogTour wrote "For Better or Worse."

When asked to name the three most important things for aspiring authors to do Dehanna said:


Write. Finish the project. Then find some really *honest* input. Oh, and can I add another one? Get an extra pair of eyes. Yes, I know you can spend plenty of time studying the craft, attending conferences, networking and rubbing elbows but in the end, all it comes down to is putting the words on paper--and to keep putting them down. The more a writer writes, the better they'll become, and it's the practice and dedication that will get them to where they want to be.

Great advice, Dehanna--it's like being a writer in theory versus being a writer in practice. So, writers... Are you writing at least as much as you're studying writing?

When asked how often she actually writes, Dehanna admitted:

Not as often as I'd like, but I think that is quite common for many who have to work their writing careers around other commitments. I have found that I write more if I stay offline and put everything work-related out of view; it also helps to close the door and unplug the phone. ;)

Again, absolutely agreed! Writing is a generally solitary art and craft for a bunch of great reasons. Often the more focus you bring to your craft, the better your results.

Ready to learn even more about Dehanna? Visit her website: http://www.dehanna.com